Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Tracklisting for new Album of Protest Songs

Post new topic Reply to topic
TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music  Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Harry
Too Hot


Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Posts: 1903
Location: London

Post subject: Tracklisting for new Album of Protest Songs Reply with quote

Lynval has announced details of the new LP released next month on his Facebook page. https://store.universalmusic.com/thespecials/*/*/Protest-Songs-1924-2012-CD/6P1M0000000?fbclid=IwAR2J8vQp8BXEPnaEWBn8TnFwfCIm_L3241lrFP2zeZFe3O5qkD33zq7Lb9Y
The new album features covers of the following songs...
1) Freedom Highway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7_b_jyRVRc
2) Everybody Knows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lin-a2lTelg
3) I don't mind failing in this world
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ60n_-BK6Q
4) Black Brown & White
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0c1c0ZsTLA
5) Aint Gonne Let Nobody Turn Us About
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ6mhRZ8LjM
6) Fuck All The Perfect People
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt9GBafFzjE
7) My Next Door Neighbour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jRV8TH7G1c
Cool Trouble Every Day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=girnJH7tvpM
9) Listening Wind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjWej8fOdR8
10) Soldiers Who Want To Be Heroes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-l0o3tOXw0
11) I LIve In A City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mTQgS9LaAY
12) Get Up Stand Up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2W3aG8uizA
_________________
I got one art O'level it did nothing for me
PostPosted:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:02 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kennybacon
Special


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 968
Location: Barrow

Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Harry, when Encore was released - they released signed copies for a week following the release, I wonder if they are going to do the same with this?
I might hang back on ordering for now
_________________
Bernie Rhodes Knows - Dont Argue
PostPosted:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:43 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot


Joined: 25 Aug 2002
Posts: 2560
Location: Area 3

Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly is an interesting choice of tracks, however, I don't know how some of them well lend themselves to cover versions. For instances songs like Soldiers Who Want To Be Heroes and I Don't Mind Failing, half their appeal is the style in which they are sang and presented. Putting a different twist on them would be quite a task. Carbon copies of the tracks would no doubt go down like led balloons among the majority of those who will attend up and coming gigs. Sounds more like something for a Terry Hall solo project.

The cynic in me would say that an entire album's worth of cover versions smacks of a band quickly running out of ideas and direction. Plus it is a timely reminder, not that is is needed, of who exactly was the creative force behind The Specials.

I think the cynic in me is correct.
_________________
Richard Eddington is innocent.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:15 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Harry
Too Hot


Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Posts: 1903
Location: London

Post subject: Reply with quote

Trojan wrote:
It certainly is an interesting choice of tracks, however, I don't know how some of them well lend themselves to cover versions. For instances songs like Soldiers Who Want To Be Heroes and I Don't Mind Failing, half their appeal is the style in which they are sang and presented. Putting a different twist on them would be quite a task. Carbon copies of the tracks would no doubt go down like led balloons among the majority of those who will attend up and coming gigs. Sounds more like something for a Terry Hall solo project.

The cynic in me would say that an entire album's worth of cover versions smacks of a band quickly running out of ideas and direction. Plus it is a timely reminder, not that is is needed, of who exactly was the creative force behind The Specials.

I think the cynic in me is correct.


Some choices like Everybody Knows are clearly Terry's picks. I'd guess Lynval went for Get Up Stand Up and the old blues song was probably suggested by Horace. There's promo video for the new tour that uses a snip of Freedom Highway.
_________________
I got one art O'level it did nothing for me
PostPosted:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:17 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
salmongang
Ska Face
Ska Face


Joined: 04 Mar 2010
Posts: 64
Location: ghost town

Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry wrote:
Lynval has announced details of the new LP released next month on his Facebook page.


Wow, will definitely lend an ear, but this is a bit of a let down... Enjoyed most of the original material on Encore like "Embarrassed by You" and "Man Called Depression." Live they were very good as well...

Would love to hear where Jerry is at these days...

Signed,
A fan
PostPosted:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:03 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
salmongang
Ska Face
Ska Face


Joined: 04 Mar 2010
Posts: 64
Location: ghost town

Post subject: Re: Tracklisting for new Album of Protest Songs Reply with quote

Harry wrote:

The new album features covers of the following songs...
1) Freedom Highway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7_b_jyRVRc
2) Everybody Knows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lin-a2lTelg
3) I don't mind failing in this world
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ60n_-BK6Q
4) Black Brown & White
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0c1c0ZsTLA
5) Aint Gonne Let Nobody Turn Us About
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ6mhRZ8LjM
6) Fuck All The Perfect People
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt9GBafFzjE
7) My Next Door Neighbour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jRV8TH7G1c
Cool Trouble Every Day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=girnJH7tvpM
9) Listening Wind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjWej8fOdR8
10) Soldiers Who Want To Be Heroes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-l0o3tOXw0
11) I LIve In A City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mTQgS9LaAY
12) Get Up Stand Up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2W3aG8uizA


Thanks for the video links Harry. Super cool of you...
PostPosted:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:09 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kennybacon
Special


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 968
Location: Barrow

Post subject: Reply with quote

Trojan wrote:
It certainly is an interesting choice of tracks, however, I don't know how some of them well lend themselves to cover versions. For instances songs like Soldiers Who Want To Be Heroes and I Don't Mind Failing, half their appeal is the style in which they are sang and presented. Putting a different twist on them would be quite a task. Carbon copies of the tracks would no doubt go down like led balloons among the majority of those who will attend up and coming gigs. Sounds more like something for a Terry Hall solo project.

The cynic in me would say that an entire album's worth of cover versions smacks of a band quickly running out of ideas and direction. Plus it is a timely reminder, not that is is needed, of who exactly was the creative force behind The Specials.

I think the cynic in me is correct.


Cynical of the current line up and anything they do? Hard to believe that Trojan

They did new material on Encore, and you weren't too impressed by that.

Apart from splitting up, is there anything they could do to win you over?
_________________
Bernie Rhodes Knows - Dont Argue
PostPosted:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:59 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kennybacon
Special


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 968
Location: Barrow

Post subject: Reply with quote

When they realised Encore, they picked what seemed like a weak week for releases - so getting a number one album was a realistic ambition and was achieved with the help of some good marketing strategy - TV advertising, reducing the price on Amazon on the last day of sales for the week, and offering signed copies in the week of release.

If they have done the same same this time around, and believe it may be a weak week for releases, I think they may struggle to outsell The Lathums - they announced over a thousand sales within three minutes of their album being available for pre order, and I am sure Amazon are selling a fair few copies of their signed CD at £7.99
_________________
Bernie Rhodes Knows - Dont Argue
PostPosted:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:13 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster


Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Posts: 411
Location: Belfast

Post subject: Reply with quote

Recordstore.co.uk has just announced some bundles:

Red vinyl LP, a 7" single including Lunatics and We Sell Hope live from Coventry Cathedral from July 2019, and a signed numbered lithograph for £33.

There is also a signed cd, and a cassette for £17.
PostPosted:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:46 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot


Joined: 25 Aug 2002
Posts: 2560
Location: Area 3

Post subject: Reply with quote

kennybacon wrote:
Trojan wrote:
It certainly is an interesting choice of tracks, however, I don't know how some of them well lend themselves to cover versions. For instances songs like Soldiers Who Want To Be Heroes and I Don't Mind Failing, half their appeal is the style in which they are sang and presented. Putting a different twist on them would be quite a task. Carbon copies of the tracks would no doubt go down like led balloons among the majority of those who will attend up and coming gigs. Sounds more like something for a Terry Hall solo project.

The cynic in me would say that an entire album's worth of cover versions smacks of a band quickly running out of ideas and direction. Plus it is a timely reminder, not that is is needed, of who exactly was the creative force behind The Specials.

I think the cynic in me is correct.


Cynical of the current line up and anything they do? Hard to believe that Trojan

They did new material on Encore, and you weren't too impressed by that.

Apart from splitting up, is there anything they could do to win you over?


1. Splitting up.

2. Stop using the name 'The Specials'.

3. And let me think..... splitting up.
_________________
Richard Eddington is innocent.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:48 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kennybacon
Special


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 968
Location: Barrow

Post subject: Reply with quote

HarryJ185 wrote:
Recordstore.co.uk has just announced some bundles:

Red vinyl LP, a 7" single including Lunatics and We Sell Hope live from Coventry Cathedral from July 2019, and a signed numbered lithograph for £33.

There is also a signed cd, and a cassette for £17.


The two lithograph bundles had both sold out on record store when I looked but found different lithograph on Specials Store on Universal Music.

I've ordered two bundles:
Red Vinyl LP, 7", Fuck All The Perfect People Lithograph & first press CD

Deluxe signed CD with first press CD.

I realise I have two copies of the first press CD, but it was either that or a cassette.

I suppose that counts as four copies of the album sold? Vinyl, Deluxe and 2 x first press?
_________________
Bernie Rhodes Knows - Dont Argue
PostPosted:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:16 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kennybacon
Special


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 968
Location: Barrow

Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a link to some snippets of the tracks here:

https://www.redcoolmedia.net/download/videos/music/video-the-specials-protest-songs-1924-2012
_________________
Bernie Rhodes Knows - Dont Argue
PostPosted:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:28 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot


Joined: 25 Aug 2002
Posts: 2560
Location: Area 3

Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound very much like a Terry Hall solo project.
_________________
Richard Eddington is innocent.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:49 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kennybacon
Special


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 968
Location: Barrow

Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what is deluxe about the deluxe CD? Can't find any info on it.
Noticed Amazon have the two live tracks from the 7" listed as disc two on their album download - so maybe disc two of the deluxe CD is the full gig?
_________________
Bernie Rhodes Knows - Dont Argue
PostPosted:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:49 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster


Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Posts: 411
Location: Belfast

Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny - I think the sleeve is going to be the only difference with the standard cd. A Mint pack rather than a jewel case.

Independent stores are getting yellow vinyl.
PostPosted:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:14 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kennybacon
Special


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 968
Location: Barrow

Post subject: Reply with quote

HarryJ185 wrote:
Kenny - I think the sleeve is going to be the only difference with the standard cd. A Mint pack rather than a jewel case.

Independent stores are getting yellow vinyl.


Ah ok - Thanks for that Harry, it would say calling that deluxe is stretching it a tad!
_________________
Bernie Rhodes Knows - Dont Argue
PostPosted:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:47 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kennybacon
Special


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 968
Location: Barrow

Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice the lithograph bundles have now also sold out on Universal Music.

Amazon are selling the exclusive signed vinyl, so I have ordered one of those too - and that's me done.

Its a shame you cant just buy all the items you want individually (signed Vinyl, Signed CD & Lithograph was all I wanted) instead of having to buy bundles, but that's the way the market is moving.

I suppose apart from the extra wedge gained from selling bundles, most bundles contain two formats of the album - so that will count as two sales for chart purposes.
_________________
Bernie Rhodes Knows - Dont Argue
PostPosted:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:54 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kennybacon
Special


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 968
Location: Barrow

Post subject: Reply with quote

HarryJ185 wrote:

Independent stores are getting yellow vinyl.


And HMV have an exclusive different cover for the vinyl

Its a lot to shell out for people who like to own every version of a record (completists)
_________________
Bernie Rhodes Knows - Dont Argue
PostPosted:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:59 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Imani
Too Hot


Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 1967
Location: Bradford

Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a listen. I understand artists evolve their sound but for me it's missing that 'Jamaican DNA' that always was a part of The Specials' work, no matter how experimental they got. The mixture of British and Jamaican influences is what I always enjoyed. I'd also prefer to hear original songs and maybe one or two covers.

Sorry, guys. Wink
PostPosted:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:40 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster


Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Posts: 411
Location: Belfast

Post subject: Reply with quote

kennybacon wrote:
I notice the lithograph bundles have now also sold out on Universal Music.

Amazon are selling the exclusive signed vinyl, so I have ordered one of those too - and that's me done.

Its a shame you cant just buy all the items you want individually (signed Vinyl, Signed CD & Lithograph was all I wanted) instead of having to buy bundles, but that's the way the market is moving.

I suppose apart from the extra wedge gained from selling bundles, most bundles contain two formats of the album - so that will count as two sales for chart purposes.


It is quite the spread of exclusives so I expect it will chart high upon release - did not know Amazon had signed vinyl. I see some people who ordered the lithograph already have it listed on ebay. Which is disappointing, but not unexpected.
PostPosted:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:57 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT
Post new topic Reply to topic
TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next 

Jump to:  
Key
  You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Community powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group :: Theme & Graphics by Daz