Information Eddie Pillar Mod Revival Box Set

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » The Specials   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

Post subject: Eddie Pillar Mod Revival Box Set Reply with quote

A four cd set or 2 vinyl LP set. Not a bad set of songs . Some rarities along with some standards. Somehow the Madness track seems out of place on the set. Doesnt seem to fit with the rest of the compilation. No other 2 tone/ska act l can see on it anywhere. Anyway, lve dipped in and ordered the CD set.
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:46 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kennybacon
Special

Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I had a quick tot up and there's about 30 tracks on there that I don't already have, so that justifies an order from me.

On the Ska/ Mod front - The Akrylykz track appears on another compilation I have '100% British Ska' and these are definitely a Ska band
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:51 am
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

Have to be honest lve never heard of The Akrylykz. They have passed me by. I will check them out though. I thought it was a decent set, there are about the same amount on there as you Kennybacon that l dont have, so will be interesting to hear.
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:38 am
Harry
Too Hot

The sax player of The Akrylykz was Roland Gift (later of Fine Young Cannibals)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DubHLW9S4GA
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:45 pm
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

lnteresting Harry. lm learning something about The Akrylykz every day. Ive hunted them down, found out they came from Hull. They released one vinyl album, at least what l have found out it was released under their name. It was actually a double vinyl LP. Anyway, l have hunted down a cd with tracks from them on it, so will give them a go.
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:56 am
kennybacon
Special

I've always found compilations like this that contain lesser known (or previously unknown bands to me) useful, hear a track I really like, dig a bit deeper on the band and end up buying some of their albums.

I found some cherry red records compilations on Mod and Punk from a few years ago really good for unearthing a few hidden gems.
Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:50 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Have I missed something over the years? Why are the Inspiral Carpets on a Mod revival album?

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:00 pm
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

Yes lve picked up the Captain Mod Ska and Mod compilations, so will give them a listen. Dont know why l never had them. Have numerous Ska and Mod compilations,but somehow missed them. Cheers for the tips on Cherry Red Kenny, l do have a few comp CDS from that label.
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:59 am
kennybacon
Special

bluearmy78 wrote:
Yes lve picked up the Captain Mod Ska and Mod compilations, so will give them a listen. Dont know why l never had them. Have numerous Ska and Mod compilations,but somehow missed them. Cheers for the tips on Cherry Red Kenny, l do have a few comp CDS from that label.

The Cherry Red compilations I have are:

Mod: Millions like us
Punk: Action, Time, Vision

Both really good, around 100 tracks on both (4 Cds), came out about 5 or 6 years ago, so might be difficult to find now but cherry red might still have copies for sale
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:05 pm
kennybacon
Special

Trojan wrote:
Have I missed something over the years? Why are the Inspiral Carpets on a Mod revival album?

I would put them in the 'indie' genre, but Mod overlaps with indie a lot.
On a timeline - I don't really think of the Inspiral Carpets as part of any particular Mod revival - they certainly came a long time after 79-80 and their best work was before the 95 Britpop era.

I suppose its open to individual interpretation what should be considered Mod or not, and by including them he is showing how Mod music has never disappeared, there's always been bands around since the 60s playing Mod music?

It has made me think of some of the lads in my age group in the early to mid eighties wearing fishtail parkas with patches and badges of The Specials, The Selecter, The Beat and Madness on them, and I used to think - you don't really know the difference between Mod and Ska do you, you identify as a Mod, but clearly prefer Ska music.
There was one lad who loved The Specials, but was clearly racist and used to sing Specials songs - but change the words to be racist. He liked the music, but the whole concept of Two Tone was lost on him. Similar I suppose to the skinheads who used to give the Nazi salute to the band.

I think that stayed on topic pretty well!
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:37 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

kennybacon wrote:
Trojan wrote:

It has made me think of some of the lads in my age group in the early to mid eighties wearing fishtail parkas with patches and badges of The Specials, The Selecter, The Beat and Madness on them, and I used to think - you don't really know the difference between Mod and Ska do you, you identify as a Mod, but clearly prefer Ska music.

I think that stayed on topic pretty well!

When you think about it the Mod revivalists had every right to like ska. The previous incarnation were the first youth movement to embrace it.

I can remember back in the early 80's a load of mod supporting graffiti appearing suddenly over night on wall close to were I lived. I suspect they either couldn't spell the names of other mod bands or they were running low on paint because all the managed to paint was the words 'The Jam' and 'The Who'. That and something which has stuck with me ever since: 'Blue Beat' and 'Ska shit'. You couldn't make it up if you tried.

PostPosted:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:55 pm
kennybacon
Special

The mod graffiti artists should count their blessings they weren't born in a different era. Ocean Colour Scene would of cost them a fortune in paint.

Blue Beat along with Ska shit, you just hope it wasn't the same vandal responsible for both.
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:39 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

kennybacon wrote:

Blue Beat along with Ska shit, you just hope it wasn't the same vandal responsible for both.

I'm afraid they were, which should give some sort of idea as to what level the guilty party was operating at.

PostPosted:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:36 am
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

kennybacon wrote:
bluearmy78 wrote:

The Cherry Red compilations I have are:

Mod: Millions like us
Punk: Action, Time, Vision

Both really good, around 100 tracks on both (4 Cds), came out about 5 or 6 years ago, so might be difficult to find now but cherry red might still have copies for sale

Milllions like us l know about, its almost impossible to get hold of nowadays,and if it does become available costs a small fortune. Funny thing is, at the time it was released l aiways intended to get it, then for some reason never did. Sort of regretted it ever since.
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:16 am
kennybacon
Special

Bluearmy - I would consider selling, if you are interested send me a PM.
Same with the punk one if your interested?

Both are in excellent condition, I've only had a quick flick through the books and the CDs have only been loaded onto my laptop and never been played since.

I've also got Gary Crowleys 'Punk and New Wave' 3 CD Book still in its cellophane wrap, but I don't think that is too hard to come by
Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:07 pm
kennybacon
Special

The price on the Eddie Piller box set has just dropped to £23.99 on Amazon, £6 cheaper than when this thread started Very Happy
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:54 pm