Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Specials 2nd on Bill at Olympic Closing Ceremony

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » 30th & beyond Anniversary Tour Chat  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage

Post subject: Reply with quote

dan wrote:
my mates such as the rabbit foot spasm band, the severed limb and gregs greats laugh at your long player, rabbit foots have recently released a wax cylinder, bet even sugarman aint got too much too young on that format!!!

I have Julius Ceaser's 20 greatest hit on clay vase.
PostPosted:
Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:19 pm
Top of Page
Fester
Too Hot

Love Blur. Adore the Specials. Can't make this gig but would really like to, just can't get time off work.

Would be great to see some new material from the lads - but maybe that's unlikely at this stage. I respect the opinions of the hardcore fans on here but don't understand some of the criticism, as they have only really played Festivals (abroad) in 2012. Thinking back to the wilderness years and the speculation of will they ever re-unite, would have been more than happy with what's on offer now. And if they are making money to keep them comfortable in their twilight years then that makes me happier still. Very Happy They fcuking deserve that for the pleasure the music has given.

"Legacy" sounds a bit elitist and that ain't what I associate with this band.
PostPosted:
Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:51 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message

Fair enough, fester.

We've probably been spoiled here in England and many of us went to numerous gig in numerous towns......and there was some expectation that the set list would change significantly between the two tours, but the changes were minor...and the show never really changed that much...

Also, there was a lot less energy on stage and a lot more animosity, and some gigs were marred by that.

The band do have a legacy and that is represented by bands like Blur and others who have been influenced by The Specials, and have been open about that influence....to me that is what a legacy truly is, how what you have created impacts on the future. Not about the past.
PostPosted:
Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:10 pm
Top of Page
Big ska
Special

I know I keep on about this ( not like me ). The Band do have a great history of that there is no doubt.
But the future and the way people think of them is more important. How long can they do a greatest hits tour and keep the,ir. integrity, I know they are all gettin old like the rest us ,but some new songs about the England we live could come about. The other thing is about value for money, the first nine time I saw them since the comeback( sad I know) I had a great time, but £40 odd for what is the same show is takin the piss a bit. I want the band to be as viberant as they were when I first saw them way back when. My little un loved the first tour gig at the Hammersmith, but on the way out of the Aly Pally she told me she had a good time but the same set so will not be goin again. I wonder how many others felt the same?
Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:08 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Hugh
Too Hot

IOC officials living the high life
A line of sleek limousines waiting at the curb, armed police patrolling the sidewalk, a block of $2,000-a-night rooms reserved at an exclusive hotel, cocktails with the Queen and a reserved lane on the jammed London highways. Life as a member of the International Olympic Committee has its rewards.

While the host city of the Summer Games was still struggling with pre-opening glitches and jitters – and the G8 economies edgy with debt and uncertainty – the 105 members of the IOC gathered for their 124th annual meeting in the elegant calm at the five-star Grosvenor House Hotel, a bit smug over their full coffers and special privileges.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/ioc-officials-living-the-high-life/article4439774/
Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:05 am
appyammer
Gangster
Gangster

Big ska wrote:
I know I keep on about this ( not like me ). The Band do have a great history of that there is no doubt.
But the future and the way people think of them is more important. How long can they do a greatest hits tour and keep the,ir. integrity, I know they are all gettin old like the rest us ,but some new songs about the England we live could come about. The other thing is about value for money, the first nine time I saw them since the comeback( sad I know) I had a great time, but £40 odd for what is the same show is takin the piss a bit. I want the band to be as viberant as they were when I first saw them way back when. My little un loved the first tour gig at the Hammersmith, but on the way out of the Aly Pally she told me she had a good time but the same set so will not be goin again. I wonder how many others felt the same?

That is pretty much on the money for me. I got a bit worried after the follow up dates in 2010........ What else could they do? Every clip of every show looks the same just older and more tired.

They deserve a drink out of it all of course.....but ain't it time to stop?

Took my lads to the "Anniversary" tour more than 2 years ago....when I told them it was basically still going on they couldn't believe it. Plentyystill to celebrate like Specialized but in terms of the live show and damaging their legacy the horse has probably bolted.
PostPosted:
Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:01 pm
skinheadface
Too Hot

Will miss them when their gone forever,loved every minute of the reunion,can't wait for hyde park,and the preshow get together Cool Very Happy Very Happy
Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:55 pm
bombscare79
Special

I agree that they cant continue with the same format...
However in 2011 i got to hear Pearls cafe, international jet set, guns of navarone and a string section none of which i heard at 4 gigs in 2009. I really loved the opening to the shows in 2011, i have to say i found it quite moving............. I have to disagree that they look tired or are not as good as in 2009 and i think those comments are somewhat unfair . Some shows may look lifeless but i put that down to lack of atmosphere and crowd response especially some of the festivals where i think maybe some of the audience may not be familiar with The Specials... I remember the first manchester show in 2009 and i thought the crowd were somewhat disinterested and the show didnt have the atmosphere i expected but it was my first show and twas just special. Then Belfast 2009 was like the end of the world party - people singing and dancing like their lives depended on it. Belsonic in Belfast 2011 and the atmosphere was non existent probably because most of the crowd were bladdered and i think the performance suffered a bit, which worried me. I then went to Manchester in 2011 and it was one of the best shows ive been to and the atmosphere was sensational as the crowd really got into it. I thought Ally Pally was a great show too and a great performance by the band. It was only 8 months or so ago, i dont think they looked tired. I just hope they get a good reception in hyde park ..................................

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:59 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

More Fyah Dub / Fyah Horn feat. Rico Rodriguez 2012 Smile

http://www.amazon.com/Fyah-Horn-feat-Rico-Rodriguez/dp/B008IOATYM
Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:17 pm
Leesy D
Ska Face
Ska Face

Well I can't wait for Hyde Park, and I am hoping for a great day out with my family in the sunshine dancing to the music we love Smile
PostPosted:
Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:36 pm
MIKE CORNWELL
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject: HYDE PARK GIG INFO Reply with quote

BT London Live Closing Ceremony Celebration Concert - Hyde Park, London

Dear Ticketmaster customer,
This is a courtesy email regarding permitted items at the BT London Live Closing Ceremony Celebration Concert event at Hyde Park, London, on 12 August 2012.

It has come to our attention that the Terms and Conditions printed on some e-tickets (TicketFast tickets) are incorrect for this event. The list of specific permitted items for the event can be viewed here.

No food will be permitted into BT London Live, with the exception of baby food. Liquids, aerosols and gels will only be permitted in vessels, no larger than 100ml. Customers are strongly advised to visit our 'Useful Info' section to familiarise themselves with the event policies.

In addition to the above, the following items are also not permitted into the site:

1. Chairs, tables, barbeques, prima stoves, etc.
2. Alcohol
3. Glass or cans
4. Food hampers, cool boxes/bags

Medication and sunscreen will be permitted in vessels up-to 200ml.

Please note, it is extremely important that you print your TicketFast tickets before the event, otherwise you will not gain entry into the venue.

If you are unfamiliar with how the TicketFast Web Pickup system works, please click on the following link which will guide you through a step-by-step process of how to access and print your tickets: http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/h/ticketfast.html

Please accept our apologies for any misinformation and inconvenience caused.
Best Wishes,
Ticketmaster Customer Service

www.thespecials.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/TheSpecials2Com/245413985501746
PostPosted:
Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:22 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website
Dell
Too Hot

skinheadface wrote:
Will miss them when their gone forever,loved every minute of the reunion.

Yep. When they came back and played up in Newcastle, I found a corner at The Academy and just wanted to observe it all. I was stood near the bar, so that the barmaid could pass me a beer when my thirst needed quenching, lovely girl, and I just wanted to be alone for that 90 minutes when they came on stage. It's not sad to admit that, I just wanted to see the band in action instead of jumping around with other members of the crowd, like usual.

There will never be another ska boom like 2 Tone, and there will never be another band like The Specials. It's been a joy, but I hope they continue for a little longer.
Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:50 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
skinheadface
Too Hot

Dell wrote:
skinheadface wrote:
Will miss them when their gone forever,loved every minute of the reunion.

Yep. When they came back and played up in Newcastle, I found a corner at The Academy and just wanted to observe it all. I was stood near the bar, so that the barmaid could pass me a beer when my thirst needed quenching, lovely girl, and I just wanted to be alone for that 90 minutes when they came on stage. It's not sad to admit that, I just wanted to see the band in action instead of jumping around with other members of the crowd, like usual.

There will never be another ska boom like 2 Tone, and there will never be another band like The Specials. It's been a joy, but I hope they continue for a little longer.
spot on mate Cool
Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:44 pm
skinheadface
Too Hot

Post subject: Re: HYDE PARK GIG INFO Reply with quote

MIKE CORNWELL wrote:
BT London Live Closing Ceremony Celebration Concert - Hyde Park, London

Dear Ticketmaster customer,
This is a courtesy email regarding permitted items at the BT London Live Closing Ceremony Celebration Concert event at Hyde Park, London, on 12 August 2012.

It has come to our attention that the Terms and Conditions printed on some e-tickets (TicketFast tickets) are incorrect for this event. The list of specific permitted items for the event can be viewed here.

No food will be permitted into BT London Live, with the exception of baby food. Liquids, aerosols and gels will only be permitted in vessels, no larger than 100ml. Customers are strongly advised to visit our 'Useful Info' section to familiarise themselves with the event policies.

In addition to the above, the following items are also not permitted into the site:

2. Alcohol
3. Glass or cans

Medication and sunscreen will be permitted in vessels up-to 200ml.

Please note, it is extremely important that you print your TicketFast tickets before the event, otherwise you will not gain entry into the venue.

If you are unfamiliar with how the TicketFast Web Pickup system works, please click on the following link which will guide you through a step-by-step process of how to access and print your tickets: http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/h/ticketfast.html

Please accept our apologies for any misinformation and inconvenience caused.
Best Wishes,
Ticketmaster Customer Service
Are you going mike? Cool
Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:45 pm

Post subject: Re: HYDE PARK GIG INFO Reply with quote

MIKE CORNWELL wrote:

2. Alcohol
3. Glass or cans

Good.

People don't take all that shit into a gig normally.
PostPosted:
Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:43 pm
Top of Page
bombscare79
Special

NO FOOD ! fuck sake.... dont tell me i have to shove a leg of roast lamb down my trousers............again... I swore i wouldnt do it again after the last time.
Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:58 pm
Hugh
Too Hot

Chairs, tables, stoves and barbecues? Shocked

What about guns and ammo?
Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:13 pm

Hugh wrote:
Chairs, tables, stoves and barbecues? Shocked

What about guns and ammo?

They aint showing Batman......
PostPosted:
Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:40 pm
Top of Page
Hugh
Too Hot

The royal barge Gloriana carries the Olympic flame along the river Thames on the final leg of the torch relay ahead of Friday's opening ceremony in London. Special permission was granted by the Palace of Westminster to allow Big Ben to ring outside its usual schedule to begin the day of celebration.

English film director Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, Slumdog Millionaire) is overseeing the $42.3-million US show at Olympic Stadium, where thousands of athletes from 204 countries will congregate to mark the opening of the 30th Summer Games.

The ceremony is expected to draw an estimated global television audience of one billion.

Boyle's show, entitled Isles of Wonder, is inspired by William Shakespeare's play The Tempest. It will include nods to such British cultural icons as James Bond, Peter Pan and Paul McCartney. The former Beatle is expected to appear in person.

An 86-song set list has been reported, including songs by English artists The Beatles, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Queen, Blur, Radiohead, Coldplay, Oasis and Adele.

The Queen will officially open the Games, but her exact role at the outdoor event in this notoriously rainy city will be "weather dependent," Boyle said.

Prince William and his wife Kate, and Prince Harry will also be in attendance, along with more than 80 heads of state and government.
Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:38 pm
Hugh
Too Hot

She was a girl from Birmingham
Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:17 pm