Information Horace Panter / Ska'd Gentleman

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » Sir Horace Gentleman   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Sugarman
Too Hot

Post subject: Horace Panter / Ska'd Gentleman Reply with quote

TIMBRE ROCK & ROOTS 2012

​Since its conception in 2012, the Timbre Rock & Roots festival has been the musical highlight of our little island on an annual basis. Run by the Timbre group, we have seen artists such as Buddy Guy, Gipsy Kings, John Legend and the legendary Bob Dylan coming down and performing for the fans here.

This year, Rock & Roots is back with a heavy-duty lineup which includes The Specials, Keb' Mo' and the funk legends Earth, Wing and Fire. The Timbre Rock & Roots 2012 will take place at the Marina Promenade on the 30th and 31st of March 2012.

​SKA'D GENTLEMAN

Horace Panter (The Specials)

The gentleman known as Sir Horace Gentleman (not really knighted, but he damn well should be) was the other musical legend whom I had the privilege of interviewing over the phone. The moment he started talking, you can guess how he got that nickname.

An ex-school teacher from Coventry (he authored an autobiography titled Ska'd For Life), he was the undeniable pulse of the band with his bass. Sounding like the perfect English gentleman, Sir Horace spoke to me about second childhoods, how he got "knighted" and the agelessness of music.

​How is it like to be touring after all these years, especially for a genre such as this?

​It's extraordinary. I consider myself a very, very lucky man to be able to have a second childhood almost, when I am nearer to retiring age than voting age. I think it is a solid testimony to the songs that we recorded 32 years ago. It's fantastic.

What was the main driving force behind the band's reunion a few years back?

​Lynval Golding (the band's rhythm guitarist). He was the spark, and he did a lot of work to get everybody in the right place at the right time.

​Any new studio albums in the works?

We are talking about the idea of new material but nothing has been resolved yet. It is quite difficult because we are know for 24-25 songs that existed 20 years ago. I think that's what people want to hear when they come and see us.

​How long do you see yourself doing this?

(Laughs) Oh, gosh. I would love to think that I could play for the next 10 years but I don't think that my body will let me. But as long as there are people who want to hear us, I would love to play the songs for them.

​How did the name "Sir Horace Gentleman" come about?

It was like a reggae name. All the reggae people had royalty in their names. It was Lynval who gave me the title because I speak properly and I didn't have an accent. And I think he considered that I spoke posh, so it was Horace Gentleman and the "Sir" was added.

Are there newer bands that you like? Any recommendations for people to check out?

We played in 2009 with a young band called Kid British, whom I thought was very good. And in 2012, we met a band called The King Blues, where we did some shows with them and I was very impressed with them. Other than that, not a lot really. It's a bit difficult for me to go to shows, people think I'm the guitarist's grandfather so I kind of stay away from a lot of the shows.

It was interesting working with The Tones. If you added all their ages up, I was still older than them, Again, it was the age difference, where there wasn't one, and it didn't matter at all. That was one of the wonderful things about music. Age is not an issue.

This will be the first-time-ever for The Specials to be performing here in Singapore. What can the fans expect, and what are you guys looking forward to here?

Lots of dancing and all the songs on our CDs faithfully reproduced live. We are not as frenetic, we don't jump around as much as we used to, but we will still give 100% with our performances. You have to with these songs. I'm really looking forward to visiting. It'll be lovely.
Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:50 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
DanceIntoTheFire
Gangster
Gangster

Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice interview with Horace Very Happy. Thanks for sharing Sugarman.

Enjoy Yourself, it's later than you think!

'You Kiss My Lips, And Take My Breath Away'
PostPosted:
Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:09 pm
Guns of Navarone
Ska Face
Ska Face

Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Sir Horace, top guy. The man primarily responsible for inspiring me to pick up a bass guitar over 25 years ago.
Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:16 pm