Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information mark ryan rip

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
dan
Too Hot

Post subject: mark ryan rip Reply with quote

i am very sad to announce the death of my friend mark 'The kid' ryan who was the original guitarist in adam and the ants.

If anyone can post up plastic surgery from jubilee you can see adam constantly trying to bully tiny mark who is having none of it on lead guitar!!!!

its fair to say he was unbullyable and one of the wittiest, angriest and most acerbic people i have ever known. he was a supporter of PND and said we were the only punk band who reminded him of 77 type bands cos of our enthusiasm and ability to play badly and totally unrehearsed without caring. You often didnt know he was taking this piss until afterwards!

After being sacked by the ants, cos he slagged off adam to siouxsie sioux and she told him he was in various other short lived punk projects such as the photons, the moors murderers and capt sensibles king and turned down being in bands with toyah and chrissie hynde cos he said they were talentless.

He went on to be a successful playwright and wrote over 16 plays and was a well known character around cardiff. He could be incredibly charming and likeable and a complete darling when in drink, but really i think most people who knew him felt incredibly warm towards Mark, he was tiny physically but had enormous spirit.

I will miss him enormously but not as much as his former partner Meryl and kids Louis and Anna, i thought i'd share this with you.

i'm very sad today
Sad Sad Sad
Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:53 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Welshskingirl
Rudie
Rudie

Post subject: R.I.P Reply with quote

So sorry to hear of your loss mate x
PostPosted:
Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:58 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website
skacid
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP

www.chillisound.co.uk

http://38degrees.org.uk/
PostPosted:
Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:01 am
Liam_Ska
Too Hot

This is sad news.

Mark Ryan (a.k.a. The Kid) replaced Lester Square as the guitarist in Adam and the Ants just before their first formal gigs. As Dan mentioned he's in Derek Jarman's 'Jubilee' and played on the 'Jubilee Demos' (including versions of 'Deutscher Girls', 'Beat My Guest', 'Plastic Surgery' etc.) which can be found on the popular 'Who Taught You to Torture' bootleg and are some of the best tracks the Ants ever recorded. I believe he was also responsible for Dave Barbe joining The Ants.

His time with the ants was shortlived and he was replaced by Johnny Bivouac in October 1977.

I only met him once at a Punks Not Dad gig but he seemed like a very nice fella.

Amongst the plays he wrote was the brilliantly named: 'Strange Case Of Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde As Told To Carl Jung By An Inmate Of Broadmoor Asylum'.

Mark was the guitarist on the 'Deutscher Girls' single which was released after The Ants had split up in 1982. It reached no.13 in the UK charts.

"The single release was credited to "The Original Adam And The Ants" as the line-up was an earlier one than on any of the previous singles and albums. Because of the sensitivity of the lyrics to the Jubilee version of Deutscher Girls, Adam had secretly re-recorded certain lines. When this song was performed on Top Of The Pops, it featured the show's female dancers as opposed to a real band. The guitar solo on Plastic Surgery was played by John Bivouac as it was dubbed over Mark Ryan's original solo. Mark plays the rest of the guitars though. Exactly what Jordan's role in the recording of these remains a mystery. It is thought that the line up listed is reflective of who was in the band at the time, as opposed to who performed." - from www.cartrouble.nl

RIP - Mark.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TimeTunnelLondon
PostPosted:
Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:18 am
Shan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry to hear your news Dan Sad
Have a good old wallow, and remember all the good times too Smile xx
Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:39 pm
Liam_Ska
Too Hot

Liam_Ska wrote:
This is sad news.

Mark Ryan (a.k.a. The Kid) replaced Lester Square as the guitarist in Adam and the Ants just before their first formal gigs. As Dan mentioned he's in Derek Jarman's 'Jubilee' and played on the 'Jubilee Demos' (including versions of 'Deutscher Girls', 'Beat My Guest', 'Plastic Surgery' etc.) which can be found on the popular 'Who Taught You to Torture' bootleg and are some of the best tracks the Ants ever recorded. I believe he was also responsible for Dave Barbe joining The Ants.

His time with the ants was shortlived and he was replaced by Johnny Bivouac in October 1977.

I only met him once at a Punks Not Dad gig but he seemed like a very nice fella.

Amongst the plays he wrote was the brilliantly named: 'Strange Case Of Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde As Told To Carl Jung By An Inmate Of Broadmoor Asylum'.

Mark was the guitarist on the 'Deutscher Girls' single which was released after The Ants had split up in 1982. It reached no.13 in the UK charts.

"The single release was credited to "The Original Adam And The Ants" as the line-up was an earlier one than on any of the previous singles and albums. Because of the sensitivity of the lyrics to the Jubilee version of Deutscher Girls, Adam had secretly re-recorded certain lines. When this song was performed on Top Of The Pops, it featured the show's female dancers as opposed to a real band. The guitar solo on Plastic Surgery was played by John Bivouac as it was dubbed over Mark Ryan's original solo. Mark plays the rest of the guitars though. Exactly what Jordan's role in the recording of these remains a mystery. It is thought that the line up listed is reflective of who was in the band at the time, as opposed to who performed." - from www.cartrouble.nl

RIP - Mark.

http://antrap.org/antrap/index.php?topic=12759.0 - Mark Ryan thread on the Ant Rap forum.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TimeTunnelLondon
PostPosted:
Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:29 pm
Parkapunk
Special

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. May he rest in peace.
Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:14 am