Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Tracklisting for new Album of Protest Songs

Post new topic Reply to topic
TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Trojan
Too Hot


Joined: 25 Aug 2002
Posts: 2567
Location: Area 3

Post subject: Reply with quote

Imani wrote:
Had a listen. I understand artists evolve their sound but for me it's missing that 'Jamaican DNA' that always was a part of The Specials' work, no matter how experimental they got, even on Encore. The mixture of British and Jamaican influences is what I always enjoyed. I'd also prefer to hear original songs and maybe one or two covers.

Sorry, guys. Wink


Well said, Imani. I think it will be an interesting enough album, but it's just not a Specials album. I think even the most harden fan of this current line up would be lying if they said this album will get repeated listens.
_________________
Richard Eddington is innocent.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:02 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kennybacon
Special


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 971
Location: Barrow

Post subject: Reply with quote

HarryJ185 wrote:
kennybacon wrote:
I notice the lithograph bundles have now also sold out on Universal Music.

Amazon are selling the exclusive signed vinyl, so I have ordered one of those too - and that's me done.

Its a shame you cant just buy all the items you want individually (signed Vinyl, Signed CD & Lithograph was all I wanted) instead of having to buy bundles, but that's the way the market is moving.

I suppose apart from the extra wedge gained from selling bundles, most bundles contain two formats of the album - so that will count as two sales for chart purposes.


It is quite the spread of exclusives so I expect it will chart high upon release - did not know Amazon had signed vinyl. I see some people who ordered the lithograph already have it listed on ebay. Which is disappointing, but not unexpected.


Just had a look on ebay and it is quite remarkable the amount that is already on there, asking double the price for the lithograph bundles - which isn't surprising as they've sold out - just a shame genuine fans will have to pay these touts if they now want one.
But stuff that hasn't sold out i.e. signed vinyl's are for sale at double the price too, just hope people check elsewhere before handing their cash to the vultures.
_________________
Bernie Rhodes Knows - Dont Argue
PostPosted:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:29 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Harry
Too Hot


Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Posts: 1913
Location: London

Post subject: Reply with quote

Trojan wrote:
Imani wrote:
Had a listen. I understand artists evolve their sound but for me it's missing that 'Jamaican DNA' that always was a part of The Specials' work, no matter how experimental they got, even on Encore. The mixture of British and Jamaican influences is what I always enjoyed. I'd also prefer to hear original songs and maybe one or two covers.

Sorry, guys. Wink


Well said, Imani. I think it will be an interesting enough album, but it's just not a Specials album. I think even the most harden fan of this current line up would be lying if they said this album will get repeated listens.


I loved a lot of the Fun Boy & Colourfield stuff but these days I prefer it when they do covers.
_________________
I got one art O'level it did nothing for me
PostPosted:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:13 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
mangeire
Gangster
Gangster


Joined: 22 Mar 2005
Posts: 437
Location: Dublin

Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. It's all so wrong on so many levels
PostPosted:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:13 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Halfy
Special


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 641
Location: Kent

Post subject: Reply with quote

kennybacon wrote:
Find a link to some snippets of the tracks here:

https://www.redcoolmedia.net/download/videos/music/video-the-specials-protest-songs-1924-2012


Well I didn't think much of that Sad
_________________
"And he listens to his stereo"
PostPosted:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:52 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Halfy
Special


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 641
Location: Kent

Post subject: Reply with quote

Smacks of self indulgence to me.

It's a shame because I thought 'Encore' had its moments considering the limited song writing pool.
_________________
"And he listens to his stereo"
PostPosted:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:55 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kennybacon
Special


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 971
Location: Barrow

Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone living near Brighton may fancy this, a gig and a CD copy of the new album with an alternate cover for £20.

Goes on sale tomorrow at 10am - so you would have to be sharp.

https://www.resident-music.com/productdetails&product_id=82520
_________________
Bernie Rhodes Knows - Dont Argue
PostPosted:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:13 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
bluearmy78
Gangster
Gangster


Joined: 20 Dec 2012
Posts: 277
Location: England

Post subject: Reply with quote

I see there is a sleeve variation of the new cd on Amazon, designed by Terry and Horace apparently. Doesnt seem to be a vinyl version though.
_________________
The past is our knowledge, the present our mistake and the future we always leave too late.
PostPosted:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:10 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kennybacon
Special


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 971
Location: Barrow

Post subject: Reply with quote

bluearmy78 wrote:
I see there is a sleeve variation of the new cd on Amazon, designed by Terry and Horace apparently. Doesnt seem to be a vinyl version though.


Aye, I think they've rinsed it a bit on the variety of different covers for the CD, I make it five different covers available, all CDS have same track list (no bonus material):

First Press CD
Standard CD
Deluxe CD
Tour CD
Terry & Horace design

There's a few varieties on the LP too:

Standard Black Vinyl
Yellow vinyl
Red vinyl
Alternative cover (white) HMV exclusive
There might be others.

And if you really wanted the three different signed lithographs, you would have to shell out around £35 for each bundle in order to get each lithograph (£105)

I suppose its only a variation on what many bands now do - I've recently seen individual CD and LP covers for each band member for some bands

I expect there will be something else on offer after Friday to encourage more sales in the release week
Manic Street Preachers pulled of a great marketing move a couple of weeks ago in release week - buy a CD and cassette (or download) for £15 and get a signed poster, free- and there was 3 different posters to choose from - 2 of classic 80s albums and 1 for their millennium eve gig
That genius marketing move was what got them the extra sales to ensure the number 1 album position.
_________________
Bernie Rhodes Knows - Dont Argue
PostPosted:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:58 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kennybacon
Special


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 971
Location: Barrow

Post subject: Reply with quote

That should of read classic 90s albums for the Manics.
_________________
Bernie Rhodes Knows - Dont Argue
PostPosted:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:01 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster


Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Posts: 412
Location: Belfast

Post subject: Reply with quote

kennybacon wrote:
bluearmy78 wrote:
I see there is a sleeve variation of the new cd on Amazon, designed by Terry and Horace apparently. Doesnt seem to be a vinyl version though.


Aye, I think they've rinsed it a bit on the variety of different covers for the CD, I make it five different covers available, all CDS have same track list (no bonus material):

First Press CD
Standard CD
Deluxe CD
Tour CD
Terry & Horace design

There's a few varieties on the LP too:

Standard Black Vinyl
Yellow vinyl
Red vinyl
Alternative cover (white) HMV exclusive
There might be others.

And if you really wanted the three different signed lithographs, you would have to shell out around £35 for each bundle in order to get each lithograph (£105)

I suppose its only a variation on what many bands now do - I've recently seen individual CD and LP covers for each band member for some bands

I expect there will be something else on offer after Friday to encourage more sales in the release week
Manic Street Preachers pulled of a great marketing move a couple of weeks ago in release week - buy a CD and cassette (or download) for £15 and get a signed poster, free- and there was 3 different posters to choose from - 2 of classic 80s albums and 1 for their millennium eve gig
That genius marketing move was what got them the extra sales to ensure the number 1 album position.


I foolishly thought the Tour cd would be live versions, rather than a sleeve variation.

I think from the images, there is also a first pressing sleeve for the vinyl, and a further variation of the yellow vinyl, with an obi strip.
PostPosted:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:57 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot


Joined: 25 Aug 2002
Posts: 2567
Location: Area 3

Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a listen to this today on a well known streaming service. Christ, it is dull. Musical beige. Protest songs should have heart and soul in them. This is just lifeless.
_________________
Richard Eddington is innocent.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:46 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
bluearmy78
Gangster
Gangster


Joined: 20 Dec 2012
Posts: 277
Location: England

Post subject: Reply with quote

kennybacon wrote:
bluearmy78 wrote:
I see there is a sleeve variation of the new cd on Amazon, designed by Terry and Horace apparently. Doesnt seem to be a vinyl version though.


Aye, I think they've rinsed it a bit on the variety of different covers for the CD, I make it five different covers available, all CDS have same track list (no bonus material):

First Press CD
Standard CD
Deluxe CD
Tour CD
Terry & Horace design

There's a few varieties on the LP too:

Standard Black Vinyl
Yellow vinyl
Red vinyl
Alternative cover (white) HMV exclusive
There might be others.

And if you really wanted the three different signed lithographs, you would have to shell out around £35 for each bundle in order to get each lithograph (£105)

I suppose its only a variation on what many bands now do - I've recently seen individual CD and LP covers for each band member for some bands

I expect there will be something else on offer after Friday to encourage more sales in the release week
Manic Street Preachers pulled of a great marketing move a couple of weeks ago in release week - buy a CD and cassette (or download) for £15 and get a signed poster, free- and there was 3 different posters to choose from - 2 of classic 80s albums and 1 for their millennium eve gig
That genius marketing move was what got them the extra sales to ensure the number 1 album position.
The Deluxe Edition does have 2 extra tracks, live from the Coventry ruins concerts. The Lunatics and We sell hope.
On another note,anybody know what chart position its going to make ?
_________________
The past is our knowledge, the present our mistake and the future we always leave too late.
PostPosted:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:45 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Harry
Too Hot


Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Posts: 1913
Location: London

Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Protest Songs will be number one.
I saw this list of British bands that have scored at Number 1 on the Official Albums Chart in 2021. I only know Noel Gallagher, Mogwai, and the Manics. I'm not very down with the kids these days...
You Me At Six - Suckapunch (Jan)
Bring Me The Horizon - Post Human: Survival Horror (Jan)
Mogwai - As The Love Continues (March)
Architects - For Those That Wish to Exist (March)
The Snuts - W.L. (April)
London Grammar - Californian Soul (April)
Royal Blood - Typhoons (May)
Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend (June)
Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds - Back The Way We Came Vol. 1 (June)
Manic Street Preachers - The Ultra Vivid Lament (Sept)
The Lathums - How Beautiful Life Can Be (Oct)
_________________
I got one art O'level it did nothing for me
PostPosted:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:54 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kennybacon
Special


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 971
Location: Barrow

Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleased that the deluxe CD does include the two live tracks

Strange that items ordered direct from the Specials store are not signed by Lynval (just Terry & Horace), but LP from Amazon is signed by Terry, Lynval, Horace and Steve Cradock, Nik Torp Larsen & Kenrick Rowe
_________________
Bernie Rhodes Knows - Dont Argue
PostPosted:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:28 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kennybacon
Special


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 971
Location: Barrow

Post subject: Reply with quote

Trojan wrote:
I had a listen to this today on a well known streaming service. Christ, it is dull. Musical beige. Protest songs should have heart and soul in them. This is just lifeless.


A touch harsh maybe Trojan? Shocked

I would of been surprised if you gave it a good review, but dull, beige & lifeless is ruthless!

Apart from it ending and the silent parts between the tracks, did you find any positives?
Come on, find some love in your heart and don't just be a hater.

I've been away for the weekend, and just seeing the album front of display in the HMV in Manchester gave me a real good retro feeling.
_________________
Bernie Rhodes Knows - Dont Argue
PostPosted:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:56 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot


Joined: 25 Aug 2002
Posts: 2567
Location: Area 3

Post subject: Reply with quote

kennybacon wrote:
Trojan wrote:
I had a listen to this today on a well known streaming service. Christ, it is dull. Musical beige. Protest songs should have heart and soul in them. This is just lifeless.


A touch harsh maybe Trojan? Shocked

I would of been surprised if you gave it a good review, but dull, beige & lifeless is ruthless!

Apart from it ending and the silent parts between the tracks, did you find any positives?
Come on, find some love in your heart and don't just be a hater.

I've been away for the weekend, and just seeing the album front of display in the HMV in Manchester gave me a real good retro feeling.


For the life of me I can not fathom how people are seeing any sort of linage between this latest offering and The Specials. Contrived protest by numbers (not to mention just plain dull music) is about as far removed from what the Specials were all about as is humanly possible. The overtly political tracks on Encore have more credibility than this mind mumbling garbage and that saying something.

As I mentioned before this sounds more like a Terry Hall solo project than The Specials, but then I suppose that’s what this current line up really is.

It will be interesting to find out how many people will still be listening to this album in a months time, never mind this time next year.
_________________
Richard Eddington is innocent.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:47 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kennybacon
Special


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 971
Location: Barrow

Post subject: Reply with quote

Trojan wrote:
kennybacon wrote:
Trojan wrote:
I had a listen to this today on a well known streaming service. Christ, it is dull. Musical beige. Protest songs should have heart and soul in them. This is just lifeless.


A touch harsh maybe Trojan? Shocked

I would of been surprised if you gave it a good review, but dull, beige & lifeless is ruthless!

Apart from it ending and the silent parts between the tracks, did you find any positives?
Come on, find some love in your heart and don't just be a hater.

I've been away for the weekend, and just seeing the album front of display in the HMV in Manchester gave me a real good retro feeling.


For the life of me I can not fathom how people are seeing any sort of linage between this latest offering and The Specials. Contrived protest by numbers (not to mention just plain dull music) is about as far removed from what the Specials were all about as is humanly possible. The overtly political tracks on Encore have more credibility than this mind mumbling garbage and that saying something.

As I mentioned before this sounds more like a Terry Hall solo project than The Specials, but then I suppose that’s what this current line up really is.

It will be interesting to find out how many people will still be listening to this album in a months time, never mind this time next year.


I totally agree that there is no comparison between The Specials 79-81 and the current band, when it comes to the musical output. The current band certainly lacks the creativity that Jerry gave the original band, and without Neville you are always going to miss the energy he supplied.

If Terry, Lynval & Horace released this album, Encore or any other music under another name I doubt it would reach the top 40 in the album charts, but the name The Specials still has huge credibility, so marketing an album under that name gives a huge boost to sales, so you can't blame them for trading on a name that is pretty much guaranteed to give it success, rather than producing it as a solo project that wouldn't appeal to the masses half as much.

I have no intention of ever seeing the band live again, because they don't have the energy I want to see from The Specials, but equally - I don't think the music they have created has tarnished the name of The Specials, I think The Specials MKII did more damage on that score (with the exception of Guilty til Proven Innocent)
I don't think there is a band around that can still capture what they had 40 odd years ago, and even if we had the original 7 members in the line up - it would still be a shadow of its former self.
_________________
Bernie Rhodes Knows - Dont Argue
PostPosted:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:58 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
kennybacon
Special


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 971
Location: Barrow

Post subject: Reply with quote

The push for the number 1 spot has begun, all formats of the album now seriously reduced in price, will probably stay that way until Thursday evening.

Even the last remaining lithograph bundle is now down to £24.99 in the specials store.

You can also get personally signed copies through banquet records
One for you that Trojan - '"I am so sorry for everything - best wishes Terry" Very Happy
_________________
Bernie Rhodes Knows - Dont Argue
PostPosted:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:03 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot


Joined: 25 Aug 2002
Posts: 2567
Location: Area 3

Post subject: Reply with quote

kennybacon wrote:

One for you that Trojan - '"I am so sorry for everything - best wishes Terry" Very Happy


LOL...brilliant Very Happy Very Happy
_________________
Richard Eddington is innocent.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:19 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT
Post new topic Reply to topic
TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 

Jump to:  
Key
  You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Community powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group :: Theme & Graphics by Daz